Like many people, I have had to learn how not to overeat at delicious holiday parties. (Ahem.) Here are five illustrated strategies I use.
1. I fill my stomach with the healthier options first. (Eat before the party if necessary.)
*This drawing is not scientific (because I chew my food.)
2. I stay in conversations far away from the food.
I find it greatly aids the conversation to ask creative questions like these.
3. I keep my cup in my hand all night. (And choose low/no calorie beverages.)
This makes it
1) Easier to keep hydrating
2) Harder to pick up lots of food
4. I focus on the one perfect dessert I want and ignore all else.
NOTE: This is especially hard (but necessary) at potluck-style parties where your friends/family made the desserts.
5. Once I am full, I eat a mint each time I am tempted by seconds.
Also, hey – fresh breath.