2. Created in 1926 at the Louisville Brown Hotel, this open-faced bacon-heavy sandwich was literally invented to serve as a perfect late night snack.
It just so happens that it’s also the perfect use for leftover Thanksgiving turkey. And, it’s the best hangover food of all time. (For when your family took this seriously.)
3. Here’s everything you’ll need:
1. Paprika (optional topping)
2. Turkey (White meat/ dark meat/ whatever is left)
3. Bacon (2-3 pieces per person)
4. 2-3 tablespoons of flour
5. Parmesan cheese (optional topping)
6. Bread, toasted
7. 1/2 stick of butter
8. i lb. Velveeta
4. First, melt the butter in a medium pot.
All good southern meals start with butter.
5. While the butter is melting, chop up your Velveeta block into cubes.
The texture WILL feel weird. But don’t let that stop you.
6. Add the cheese cubes to the butter and stir.
Slowly add in the flour as-needed to thicken the sauce. You shouldn’t need more than 3 tablespoons.
7. While the cheese is melting, cook the bacon.
Two to three pieces for each sandwich. Don’t be stingy.
8. When the cheese is really melting, get out the whisk and go to town.
This is how you get that creamy texture that will let you pour this right over your sandwich.
9. Before you start assembling, turn on your oven broiler.
10. Put the toasted bread(s) in a cast iron skillet or on a baking sheet.
11. Layer on the turkey, then the bacon.
12. Then, generously pour the cheese sauce on your delicious meat/carb pile.
The cheese should pour over the sides of the sandwich. Let it flow.
13. Put your concoction under the broiler for just a few minutes, until the top turns this crispy golden brown.
You’ll want to watch it carefully, it can burn quickly. You should still see a lot of the yellow cheese un-browned.
14. For a pure experience, sprinkle on some Paprika and you’re good to go.
Pairs EXCEPTIONALLY well this way with your leftover cranberry sauce.
15. Or, go the traditional route and top with a tomato slice, parmesan cheese, parsley or all of the above.
16. And there you have it! Plate and enjoy!
17. Don’t blame us if you start liking this better than the actual Thanksgiving dinner.
You won’t be the only one.