1. New York-based graphic designer Jessica Gaber uses only candy to construct the elaborate (fake) foods she photographs for her project “Candy Cuisine.”
“Sugarshimi” — made with Airhead, Rice Krispie Treat, fruit jellies, fruit roll up, sugar crystals, icing and Hershey’s chocolate syrup.
3. Gaber told BuzzFeed Life she started the project about a year ago because she was inspired by the work of other food artists (and “really bored”).
“Phony Bologna” — made with Bubble Tape, Laffy Taffy and Airheads.
5. One of the challenges she’s encountered working with candy is that it’s so much more brightly colored than real food.
“The Golden Nugget” — made with caramels covered in graham cracker crumbs, candy corn, malt balls, Mini Starbursts and Rice Krispie Treats.
7. So, she says, “I always try to keep my eyes open for the candy that looks less appealing.”
“Think Outside The Takeout Box” — made with caramels, caramel sauce, toasted coconut, malt balls, jumbo jelly beans, Dots and Laffy Taffy.
9. It usually takes her a couple hours to put together the food for each photo.
“Wine and Cavities” — made with icing, oranges and cream fudge, Starbursts, white chocolate bar, cooking white chocolate, candied almonds, root beer barrels and caramel sauce.
11. Gaber has found that candy will “start looking a little funky” pretty quickly, so she sometimes freezes the candy first to give more time for styling and shooting.
“Mexicandy” — french roasted peanuts, Laffy Taffy, gummy bears, sour belts, gummy army men, icing, Boston Baked Beans, Hershey’s strawberry sauce and Hershey’s chocolate syrup.
13. Airheads are probably the candy Gaber works with most — “They seem to really work, color-wise,” she says.
“Spaghetti and Sweetballs” — made with pina colada licorice twists, snickers, Hershey’s chocolate syrup, Hershey’s strawberry sauce, Tootsie Pops and vanilla Tootsie Rolls.
15. Gaber doesn’t eat her finished creations, but will admit to sneaking a Dot or two while she works.
“Eat Your Vegetables” — made with caramels, Dots, malt balls, caramel sauce, Boston Baked Beans, candy corn and Cool Whip.